Monster Mash Popcorn | A Fun Halloween Treat!
Got leftover Halloween Candy? Not to worry, because I’ve got you covered with my Monster Mash Popcorn. With no artificial dyes or colors (except if you add candy of course) this popcorn is a wonderful, yummy, sweet and savory popcorn and you could even leave out the candy if you preferred. Make this tonight for a savory treat all weekend long!
Happy post Halloween everyone! I cannot believe October has already come and gone. It literally arrived and left in a flash! Some amazing things happened in October and some not so amazing things happened in October and all of these events and the ebb and flow of it all all amount to new experiences and new beginnings.
A new month is upon us and I’m willing to bet that many of you have tons of leftover candy lying around your house that you just don’t know what to do with. Not to worry though, because I’ve got you covered with my easy, fun, delicious Monster Mash Popcorn! It’s ghoulishly delicious and has a nice subtle sweet and salty combo to it. Word on the street is it’s pretty amazing according to my friends and family who have already tried so you can bookmark this recipe to make it every year. This Monster Mash popcorn can easily be transitioned to a festive Christmas Holiday popcorn that’s also wonderful for all of the events coming up during the holiday season! All you’ll need to do is switch out some of the ingredients. Easy peezy.
Let’s get down to the goodies on this. I made homemade popcorn as my base and used organic popcorn kernels that I buy at Trader Joe’s. Instructions for making me homemade popcorn are as follows:
In a 3-quart saucepan, add 1-tablespoon of coconut oil and heat over medium high heat.
Add one to two popcorn kernels to the pan, cover, and wait for them to pop. Once they start to pop you can add the rest of your popcorn kernels to the pan, cover, and continue to move the pan back and forth over the stovetop until all of the kernels have popped. I used one cup of popcorn kernels and that made plenty of fresh, homemade popcorn. You can use more, depending on how many guest’s you are serving.
Once the popcorn is finished popping, take a baking sheet and line it with parchment paper and spread the popcorn in a thin layer. Next, season the popcorn with a yummy mixture of spices and 1-2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil and grass-fed butter. Knead the popcorn with your hands so all the flavors coat the popcorn. Don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty, it’s worth it, I promise. The exact seasonings and liquids I use are all listed in the recipe box below.
You can use whatever candy options you like. I used Enjoy Life Foods Halloween candy, Mellowcreme Pumpkins, giant marshmallows, and Go Natural Funfetti Sprinkles. Add peanut butter cups for an even more tasty treat!
For the various colors in the popcorn, I used turmeric, Vital Protein’s Strawberry Collagen Water, spirulina, and beet root powder. These options make really creepy colors without having to worry about synthetic foods dyes and colors.
I hope you guys enjoy this fun Monster Mash Popcorn and if you make this recipe, please tag me in your posts on Instagram using the hashtag #fittyfoodlicious. I love seeing my recipes in your kitchen!
Now go grab all of that leftover Halloween candy, make this popcorn, and do the Monster Mash!
Monster Mash Popcorn
A new month is upon us and I’m willing to bet that many of you have tons of leftover candy lying around your house that you just don’t know what to do with. Not to worry though, because I’ve got you covered with my easy, fun, delicious Monster Mash Popcorn! It’s ghoulishly delicious and has a nice subtle sweet and salty combo to it.
Makes: Serves 4-6
- 1-2 cups organic popcorn kernels
- 3-tablespoons organic coconut oil (1-tbs for initially cooking the popcorn and the other 2-tbs for coating the cooked popcorn.)
- 4-tablespoons of melted grass-fed butter
- 1-tablespoon of molasses
- 1-tablespoon of spirulina
- 1-tablespoon of beet root powder
- 1-tablespoon Vital Protein’s Strawberry Collagen
- 1-tablespoon of turmeric
- 1-2 teaspoons of Himalayan sea-salt
- 1-tablespoon of ground cinnamon
- Various candy: Mellowcreme pumpkins, mini rice chocolate bars, and gingersnaps.
- Funfetti sprinkles and marshmallows, optional
- Cook the organic popcorn according to blog post or popcorn package directions.
- Once the popcorn is cooked, spread over a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle the melted butter, coconut oil, and molasses over the popcorn and knead everything together.
- Next, add the spirulina, beet root powder, and turmeric and knead everything together again.
- Add the sea-salt and cinnamon and add as much or as little candy as you want.
- Next, take a clean paper bag and pour in the popcorn and give the bag a few good shakes. The more you shake the bag, the better the ingredients will combine with the popcorn.
- Place the popcorn back onto the baking sheet and add your candy of choice. Place the popcorn into small serving bowls and sprinkle with Funfetti sprinkles and marshmallows (optional).
- Place any leftover Monster Mash Popcorn into sealed BPA free plastic bags. The Monster Mash Popcorn should keep for up to 5-days.