Attachment Anxiety To TV Characters-The Actors Have Moved On, Why Can't I?
Last night as I watched the final episode of White Collar (I'm late to the party, I know but Netflix is my BFF for that reason alone) I started feeling this sadness and anxiety sweep over me. The show was ending and it literally felt like the end of an era as their producer described in their cancellation article. I was sad that the show I've grown to love so much was...done. The story and the characters I've grown attached to over 6-seaons. If you've watched White Collar then you know it truly was the end of an era.
The story is based on Neal Caffrey and Peter Burke one is a professional con artist and the other is a forgiving FBI agent. They form an unlikely bond when Peter Burke asks Neal if he would like to assist the FBI in the white collar division on cases in exchange for Neal living a life out of prison, but on an anklet where the FBI can watch his every move. I got hooked in on the story line right away and attached to the characters shortly thereafter. I watched all 6-seaons in a little over a month and the final episode made me burst into tears.
Two days later and I'm still reeling in this show. Silly, isn't it? So in order to quell my post series depression, I googled this phenomenon and it actually does exist. It's called: post series depression and there are a range of tips and tricks all over the internet to help cope when a show ends. Cope when a show ends? Just writing this line seems silly, but I'm attached to the characters and the last episode was so emotional that I can't quite get over this yet. All of the articles recommended to watch the series again. Watch the series again? I don't know how I'll put myself through that again, but until I find another show it seems there is no other option.
Here's my advice if you've grown attached to a show that's ended either recently or awhile ago and you are just now joining the wrap party. Think about the show and remember the last episode fondly. Imagine all of the ways the storyline would continue on and then release those thoughts. Look for other recommendations in that criteria right away so you can become invested in another show quickly. Google the actors and see what they're up to now. Perhaps they are in other shows that you'll be into. Actors typically stick with the same characters so to find something new they're in hopefully won't be too hard to do if they're still acting. And finally, watch the series again. Perhaps there were episodes you missed or you fell asleep and need to watch the episode again.
Meanwhile, I'll be over here licking my wounds, growing attached to these characters again and getting hooked in from the beginning.
Oh and don't even get me started on Gilmore Girls. When that show ended I was depressed for two weeks, and I still think about the very last episode where Rory say "It's wide open." And I get sad. But they're bringing Gilmore Girls back (thank goodness) so I won't have to be sad for long.
Can you recommend some good shows on Netflix for me to watch? Comment below.
- October 2018
- Aug 20, 2018 The Power Is Within YOU | Walk Away From Stress And Other Techniques To Help You Chill Out Aug 20, 2018
- Aug 18, 2018 How I'm Using Food, Knowledge, And Supplements To Balance My Hormones Naturally Aug 18, 2018
- Aug 7, 2018 My Anxiety: A Roadmap To Adopting Healthy Techniques For Coping With Anxiety Aug 7, 2018
- Mar 19, 2018 My Top 5 Tricks For Stopping Anxiety In Its Tracks Mar 19, 2018
- Mar 12, 2018 How Anxiety Affects My Daily Life Mar 12, 2018
- Feb 22, 2018 Daily Mantras And How to Really Get What You Want Out Of Life Feb 22, 2018
- Feb 5, 2018 My Daily Struggle With Anxiety And Hypochondria Feb 5, 2018
- Jan 19, 2018 Being Limitless Is All In The Mind Jan 19, 2018
- Jan 9, 2018 ACT Therapy Day 1 Jan 9, 2018
- Jan 1, 2018 2018 Is Going To Be My Year | Anything IS possible Jan 1, 2018
- Dec 2, 2017 Be Kind To Me | December Intentions Dec 2, 2017
- November 2017
- Oct 30, 2017 Why Taking Adaptogens Can Help Make Life Smooth Sailing Oct 30, 2017
- Sep 1, 2017 September Intentions Sep 1, 2017
- Aug 24, 2017 Self Sabotage: The Inner Demons That Hold Us Back From Creating Our Best Lives Aug 24, 2017
- Jul 9, 2017 When I Run, I Feel Free Jul 9, 2017
- Jun 5, 2017 Show Up For Yourself First Jun 5, 2017
- May 11, 2017 Learn How To Say No | Stop Glorifying Being Busy May 11, 2017
- May 5, 2017 12-Facts About Me: The Dirt, The Deets, The Details! May 5, 2017
- May 3, 2017 Guilt: The Body Shaming of Emotions May 3, 2017
- Apr 21, 2017 Everyone Doesn't Have to Like You | Actually It's A Good Thing! Apr 21, 2017
- Apr 14, 2017 8 Ways To Fall In Love In Love With Yourself Apr 14, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 The Cracks Beneath My Skin Apr 5, 2017
- Mar 27, 2017 I Am Empowered | Why Every Woman Should Go On An All Women's Retreat Mar 27, 2017
- February 2017
- Jan 31, 2017 Twists, Turns, And Quite The Stir: January 2017, A Reflection Jan 31, 2017
- Jan 19, 2017 I Haven't Tied My Shoes Yet | Sugar Detox Part Two Jan 19, 2017
- Jan 19, 2017 Before And After Home Office Re-Design | New Year, New Space! Jan 19, 2017
- Jan 10, 2017 7-Days Without Cake And Cookies And Ice Cream And Sugar.... Jan 10, 2017
- Jan 4, 2017 Staying Organized and Motivated This Month | How To Keep Your Momentum Going Strong Jan 4, 2017
- Jan 3, 2017 I Can Fail, I'll Survive, I Can Fall, I will Float Jan 3, 2017
- December 2016
- Nov 29, 2016 My First You Tube Video And Why I'm Excited About This New Venture Nov 29, 2016
- Nov 19, 2016 Harley: The Dog Who Saved My Life Nov 19, 2016
- Nov 9, 2016 Attachment Anxiety To TV Characters-The Actors Have Moved On, Why Can't I? Nov 9, 2016
- Nov 7, 2016 How Rock Climbing Keeps Me Sane Nov 7, 2016
- Nov 4, 2016 Runaway Train: The Need To Constantly Be Searching For The Next Best Thing Nov 4, 2016
- Nov 3, 2016 A Letter To My Mother: Being Completely Honest When There Are No Options Left Nov 3, 2016
- Nov 2, 2016 Being Brave; Healing From The Fallout Nov 2, 2016
- Nov 1, 2016 Pick Yourself Up By The Bootstraps: How To Deal When You're Having a Bad Mental Health Day Nov 1, 2016
- Oct 24, 2016 I Struggle With Anxiety-10 Ways To Cope With Anxiety Disorder Oct 24, 2016
- Oct 17, 2016 Turning The Big 3-0 And Realizing No One Knows What They're Doing Oct 17, 2016