Need a fun recipe that’s comfort food at it’s finest? I’ve got you covered with my Easy Tamale Pie. Using minimal, healthy ingredients, some yummy toppings, and a meal you can eat for leftovers the next day, this Tamale Pie will keep you sane in the waters ahead. Make this for dinner tonight and have leftovers all week!
How’s everyone holding up during this strange time? We need to lean on each other now more than ever and learn to adapt to a new normal.
I believe we can get through this one healthy and delicious meal at a time. Now, let’s get cooking!
Here’s to staying home, staying in, and keeping sane with cooking, trying new recipes, and tackling those house projects that’s you’ve been meaning to get done since New Years’.
I hope when I come back to this recipe to pin it in the future months that this strange time is just a bleep on our radar.
You know, I hate to admit this but I never realized how much I actually took being social for granted.
I miss my daily Starbucks runs and my silly conversations with my baristas.
I miss my silly banter with the Trader Joe’s cashiers, and I miss, oh god how I miss running on those sweet sweet trails. My happy place.
I do hope that by all of us staying inside that we will conquer this and that we will prevail. This silent thing we are fighting is scary, but it’s not an impossible fight.
Okay, le’s move onto better and brighter things like my Easy Tamale Pie. This is one of the easiest recipes you could make and it’s perfect for when you are stuck in the house.
We do not use actual tamales in this recipe, but if that’s your jam go for it. I wanted to keep this recipe easy for you guys and have this be a recipe where you can actually find the ingredients at the store in our current state.
All you’ll need for this recipe are two boxes of Jiffy Corn Mix, a tried and true classic that my Grandmother use to bake with that never goes out of style. There’s a reason Jiffy has been around for so long.
You’ll also need 1-pound of organic grass-fed beef, salsa, black olives, chili powder, shredded cheddar cheese, eggs, and frozen corn. For toppings, I suggest using fresh sour cream, fresh salsa, and some fresh cilantro.
This is the easiest Tamale Pie you could ever make. First, bake the Jiffy Cornbread mix according to package directions in a casserole dish. While the Jiffy Cornbread is baking, prep the ground beef.
In a large Dutch oven, brown the ground beef and season with chili powder, paprika, Himalayan sea salt, black pepper. Once the beef has browned and cooked through, pour in half of the jar of salsa.
Next, add the corn and simmer everything for 5-minutes. Once the first layer of the cornbread has cooked, top it with the beef salsa mixture. Add a layer of shredded cheese and a layer of black olives. Repeat those layers except for the cornbread.
Add another layer of shredded cheddar cheese and then add another layer of the Jiffy Cornbread mixture. Bake at 350-degrees for 1-hour.
If the cornbread topping browns too quickly, add a layer of tinfoil. Remove the Tamale Pie from the oven and serve. Top with fresh sour cream, salsa, and fresh cilantro.
This easy and delicious Tamale Pie will keep in the fridge in a glass, airtight container for two days and will also last in the freezer for a long time. Simply reheat in the oven and serve.
We all need some comfort food with everything that’s going on in this turbulent time. I hope my easy Tamale Pie brings you and your family joy!
Stay healthy, keep your head high, and keep cooking!
Easy Tamale Pie
- 1-pound organic grass-fed beef
- 1-tablespoon chili powder
- 1-teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 1-teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 2-boxes of Jiffy Cornbread Mix
- 2-cups milk
- 2-cups fresh salsa
- 2-cups sliced black olives
- 3-cups fresh, canned, or frozen corn
- 4-cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Sour Cream
- Avocado Slices
- Fresh salsa
- Fresh cilantro
How to cook Easy Tamale Pie
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Spray cooking oil spray in a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Cook the ground beef in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Season the ground beef with the chili powder, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Once the beef has browned add 1-cup of fresh salsa and saute everything for 5-minutes on low heat.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the Jiffy cornbread mix, milk, and eggs, and stir until combined.
- Pour half of the Jiffy cornbread mix into the bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
- Add a layer of corn on top of the cornbread mixture.
- Next, add a layer of ground beef and then a layer of cheese.
- Add a layer of olives over the cheese and repeat the above steps until all of the ingredients are used.
- Add some of the sharp cheddar cheese to the remaining cornbread mixture and top the prepare Tamale Pie with the cheesy cornbread mixture.
- Bake in the oven at 350-degrees for 50-60 minutes.
- If the top layer of the Tamale Pie browns too fast, top the casserole dish with a layer of tinfoil and continue cooking.
- Slice the pie into squares and top with sour cream, sliced avocado, fresh salsa, and fresh cilantro.
- Serve, and enjoy!
Sat. Fat (grams)
Leave a Reply