SWEET AND SAVORY IS THE WAY TO GO
My Strawberry Feta Cream Cheese Crostini is rich, savory, and has the perfect combo of sweet and salty. As you can see in the photos I’ve also made a homemade strawberry cream cheese for this recipe too. This is the perfect recipe for the upcoming Fourth of July holiday.
You can do the whipped feta, the homemade strawberry cream cheese spread, or both! Doing both spreads for a party or hosting a dinner adds variation and gives your guests choices.
I topped the Crostini with fresh cilantro to give it an extra kick, but you could add fresh mint as well. A minty flavor to anything strawberry is always delicious.
For the balsamic drizzle, I used the balsamic glaze, which you can buy at Trader Joe’s. I haven’t found any product similar that’s thick like the glaze from Trader Joe’s is.
I don’t like straight balsamic vinegar on my crostini, but if that’s your jam go for it. Anything balsamic is delicious and adds a zing to this recipe.
LET’S MAKE THE CHEESE
Let’s talk about the feta cream cheese mixture. For this delicious spreadable cheese, you will need a food processor. I’ve linked my favorite one here.
The first step is to prepare the feta crumbs and whipped cream cheese for this spread.
Whipped cream cheese does a much better job than your traditional cream cheese because it turns the spread into more of a whip.
Combine 1-cup of feta cheese crumbles and 1/2-cup of whipped cream cheese in the food processor. This part takes a little bit of time and effort to really get the spread to be spreadable.
Keep pulsing the food processor on the pulse setting and you will get your cheese to the desired, spreadable effect.
To make the homemade strawberry cream cheese, I added about 1/4-cup of freshly sliced strawberries to 1-cup of the whipped cream cheese to the food processor and set it to the medium setting for 2-3 minutes. Now you have easy, homemade strawberry cream cheese.
CHOOSE A QUALITY BREAD
My bread of choice for this recipe is the organic sourdough baguette from Trader Joe’s. The bread is nice and fluffy and has that delicious salty and sourdough taste to it.
Set your oven to 350-degrees and slice the bread. Spread out the bread on a cookie sheet and brush each piece with a good quality organic extra virgin olive oil.
More easy strawberry recipes here.
Trader Joe’s also has a super affordable organic one that is my favorite.
Heat up the bread for 5-10-minutes. Don’t overbake the bread, as you are mainly just toasting it.
Over baking the bread defeats the purpose of Crostini, as the bread should be a bit chewy after toasting it. Once your bread is toasted, remove from oven and let it cool.
FRESH CILANTRO TURNS THIS DELICIOUS APPETIZER UP A NOTCH
While the bread is cooling, slice up the strawberries and chop up the cilantro. You can slice up the strawberries in halves or any way you prefer.
Here’s a fun Strawberry recipe.
Once the bread is toasted, spread the feta cream cheese spread and top with the sliced strawberries. Add sea salt and black pepper, and drizzle with the balsamic glaze.
Top with fresh cilantro or mint and you are all set! The crostini should keep in a glass, airtight container for up to 3-days.
This recipe is perfect for the upcoming Fourth of July holiday and also makes a wonderful appetizer at any time of the year.
If you want to add this to your main meal and not just as an appetizer, you could pair this crostini with a salad and some fresh pasta. The perfect Italian dinner!
If you guys make this recipe, please tag me on Instagram using the hashtag #fittyfoodlicious and DM me and tell me how you liked it! I love seeing my recipes in your kitchen.
I’m looking forward to a quiet weekend off of social media.
STRAWBERRY FETA CREAM CHEESE CROSTINI
- 1 Italian sourdough baguette, sliced
- 1 cup whipped cream cheese
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbles
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pound organic strawberries, halved and sliced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Balsamic Glaze for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees and slice the Italian sourdough baguette. Spread the slices on a cookie sheet and brush each piece with extra virgin olive oil. Bake the bread slices for 5-10 minutes until the bread is toasty. Don’t over toast the bread.
- For the feta cream cheese spread combine the whipped cream cheese and the feta cheese crumbles in a food processor and pulse on the low setting for roughly 5-minutes. *See blog post instructions to make the strawberry cream cheese.
- While the bread is cooling, prep your strawberries. Slice the strawberries in halves and remove the stems.
- Once the bread has cooled, spread the feta cream cheese spread on each slice of bread and top with the sliced strawberries.
- Top each slice with sea salt and black pepper, and drizzle the balsamic glaze on top. Garnish with fresh cilantro or mint.