Easy appetizer recipe
By Fitty Foodlicious
Made with fresh asparagus, puff pastry, mayo mustard sauce, and fresh parmesan, this is one recipe you'll come back to again and again!
Let's Make Asparagus Puff Pastry
– Now we are going to make our "puff pastry boat" for the asparagus to sit in. Lay puff pastry out on the prepared baking sheet. Fold edges up to create a ½-inch wide border. Prick the inside base of dough completely with a fork. Make sure to prick the entire dough of the puff pastry. This ensures the dough will cook properly.
– Bake in the preheated oven until golden and puffed, about 10 minutes. Press the puffed center down with the back of a fork to deflate.
– While the puff pastry boat is cooling, let's make our asparagus. We are only going to blanch cook our asparagus for 60 seconds. That's it! Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add asparagus and cook uncovered until bright green, about 1 minute. Drain in a colander and immediately immerse in ice water for several minutes until cold to stop the cooking process. Drain.
– Let's make our dijon sauce for this asparagus with puff pastry asparagus in puff pastry recipe. You will need mayonnaise, mustard, cayenne pepper, and black pepper.
– Stir mustard, mayonnaise, black pepper, and cayenne pepper together in a small bowl; spread into the bottom of the cooled tart shell.
– Lay asparagus spears, trimming as necessary to fit the tart shell, in the center of the tart on top of the mustard spread. Brush melted butter, or olive oil over the asparagus and crust and sprinkle Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese over the top. You can also dab the crust with egg wash.
– Bake in the oven until pastry is golden brown and asparagus is tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
Blanching is a cooking technique that calls for quickly scalding foods in boiling water, and then immediately dunking or “shocking” them in ice water to keep them from overcooking. The process seals in color, flavor, and texture by halting the enzyme activity that occurs naturally in fruits and vegetables when raw.