Your phone is ringing off the hook, the e-mail pings are coming in by the 100’s, your dog needs to be fed, you need to be fed, your to-list is miles long, and you cannot remember if you did the face to face call with your boss this morning of if that was scheduled for next week…..Does this sound anything like your typical day? Going in a million different directions and not being able to remember which task has already been done. It can be very challenging to maintain a busy schedule and live an active lifestyle. But don’t you worry my friends, I’ve got a list of tips and nutrition tricks to keep you active, happy, and healthy.
Tip 1: Make sure you are hydrating, hydrating, hydrating. I know when it’s cold it can be very hard to keep your hydration levels up, but staying hydrated is so imperative to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. With the colder temperatures it can be really hard to intake a gallon of water a day, but drink up friends! I love staying hydrated with Essence Ph10 Alkaline Water! It has all of the antioxidants I need and helps me maintain normal Ph levels. Do you want to know something else really cool? It has 66mg of organic hibiscus added to it naturally. This is the first water I’ve found that has all of the antioxidants including hibiscus. Essence Ph10 water also detoxifies your system. I know that when I’m drinking it I have to go to the bathroom more than when I’m drinking regular water. This is a good thing! This means that my body is getting to it’s normal pH levels which is imperative to never getting dehydrated. Staying hydrated will keep your body temperatures regulated, will keep those pesky hunger pangs away, (you know the ones you get when you are not actually hungry, it turns out your body is probably thirsty!) Drinking the proper amount of water will keep you from getting dehydrated. The quickest way feel to faint or sick at some point during the day is from not drinking enough water. Here are some easy ways to make sure you are drinking up and staying hydrated.
- Start your day with a hot glass of lemon water. Boil some water in the morning, slice up a lemon, and drink your water while you are getting ready. You could make your water and lemon with Essence Ph10 water for extra benefits! By the time you are done getting ready, you will have drunk your first glass of lemon water for the day!
- Keep a Camelbak with you at all times. I know they are usually used for runners, but even when I’m not on the trails, I have my Camelbak filled with ice so that I always have easy access to water. They come with a built in straw, so no excuses!
- When you go to Starbucks or any coffeeshop on your mid-day coffee run, ask the barista for a Venti Iced Water, their water is filtered and free!
- Drink tea! If you are too cold to drink water, order a tea. It’s not as good as having plain water, but you’ll still be reaping the benefits of water with some added antioxidants. Don’t fill your tea with sugar either! Just the tea and maybe some honey. Enjoy the flavor of the tea leaves.
- Download the water app “Water Logged” in the app store. For 99 cents, this app is a life saver! It sends you reminders and keeps track of your hydration levels.
Tip 2: Mason Jar Salads!
- Go on Amazon and buy the tall mason jars, for $10/9 pack they are a steal and even come with the lids. Then go to Trader Joe’s and buy a bunch of produce in bulk and go home and make mason jar salads.
- Grab kale, spinach, swiss chard, arugula, ice burg lettuce, dandelion root, all the greens! Wash them and toss them all together in a big bowl and add kidney beans, kalamata olives, avocado, pitted dates, pepitas, sliced, fresh fruit, radishes, garbanzo beans, basically anything you love in salad, combine it all together and fill up those mason jars.
- Then grab the small mason jars and fill them up with a combination of EVOO and balsamic vinegar with some spices, and you’ve got yourself, a healthy, easy, lunch on the go. The dressing will keep in the fridge for up to a week. The salad jars will last for up to 5-days in the fridge. You can also do this with fruit! Slice up your favorite fruits and combine them in a mason jar, and you’ve got healthy fruit salads that should last up to 3-days in the fridge.
Tip 3: Apple Cider Vinegar! Apple Cider Vinegar is amazing for your body and mind! I use it for literally everything, but it’s also great as an energy booster throughout the day. Make mini shots and store them in the fridge. You can oder BPA free containers on Amazon.
What you’ll need: 4-tbs of ACV, 1 tbs of raw honey, 1 tbs to fresh squeezed lemon juice, and some cayenne pepper. Mix all ingredients together and put them in the little containers. When that mid-day lull hits you at 3pm, grab an ACV shot and you will feel energized! ACV cleanses your system, is wonderful for your skin, helps aid in acid digestion, and will give you a pep in your step. You will instantly feel more alert, and it’s healthier than grabbing that 3:00 o’clock cup of coffee. Try those ACV shots, you will love them, and you’ll start feeling and seeing the results right away. You can also use ACV on your skin, it works as a fantastic skin toner for all skin types, especially oily skin.
Tip 4: Get those steps in! Even if you don’t have Fitbit, you can still get your steps in each day. Move whenever you can wherever you can. Take the stairs instead of the elevator, park your car as far away in the parking lot as you can, get up from your desk every 15 minutes and move around or even better, build yourself a standing desk (tutorial on that coming soon.) Just keep moving, and keep your blood flowing. You can also do some stretches for five minutes and that will help keep your energy levels up too!
Tip 5: Kale, kale, kale! I know, I know, you’ve heard this a million times before right? But Kale is a must have nutrient and it’s a famous veggie for a reason. Kale is a nutritional powerhouse that packs a punch. Kale is packed with iron so if you are iron deficient like I am, kale will be a life saver. Your body needs iron and if you don’t eat a lot of meat (I rarely eat meat) then supplement that with kale to keep your iron levels and energy levels up. Kale is also low in calories and high in fiber. The more fiber your body intakes, the better everything will move and groove if you know what I mean. Kale also has zero fat, so you can literally nosh on the stuff all day and be fine. Kale is high in Vitamin K which is a cancer fighter, and it helps your bones stay healthy! Kale is also high in Vitamin A which helps your vision and skin. Kale is super high in antioxidants which keeps your immune system up and your vitamin levels healthy. Did you know that kale is also a anti-inflammatory which is essential for keeping bloat down. Do you ever go for a run and blow up like a balloon? If you do, that means your body is not getting enough proper nutrients so eat more kale! Here are some fun and easy ways to add kale to your diet, and if made properly it’s addictive, I promise you!
- Sautee it in some lemon juice, himalayan sea salt, and, EVOO and you will be wanting kale with every meal.
- Throw some kale in your morning smoothie. See my recipe for that here.
- Add kale to your salad.
- Roll some kale into some chicken breasts and cook them in the oven.
I know it can be hard to eat right on the go, but I’m hoping my tips will help you maintain an active lifestyle and stay healthy. Remember, the more you take care of your body, the better it will take care of you.
Comment below and tell me your favorite ways to take of yourself and let me know any tips you have for me!