I started this blog as a way to document my weight-loss journey and it's become so much more than that now. It's become my little corner of the internet where I can come and vent and write and share about life with all of you! I'm grateful for this space and even more grateful for my readers. I'm humbled you take the time to read about my world, my thoughts, and my opinions so I thought I'd share some wacky facts about me. Wacky? Maybe not that scandalous, but some are pretty weird. (Insert laughing emoji here). I have some pretty weird habits that might terrify you, but hopefully, most of them will make you laugh out loud. Because isn't that the point really? To laugh as much as possible in this life. Join me while I share a list with you that I've never shared before with anyone! But most people know most of these...or do they?
10-Hilarious Facts About me!
1. I've had a love affair with Haagen-das since I was 19-years-old. My boyfriend at the time introduced me to this crack and I haven't been able to quit the stuff! In fact, I'm eating some at this very moment as I write this piece. I'll never forget the time Aiden took me down ice cream aisle at the Whole Foods that had recently opened up in our town. We had just gotten off a 10-hour shift at our swanky retail job and I was craving something sweet. I mean, I've had ice cream tons of times before, but when I met Haagen-das, it was a lasting love affair that will last a lifetime!
2. Not only do I own 3-dogs, but I own 5-cats. Yup! You read that right, 5 crazy, quirky, wacky, furry, spunky cats and when I tell most people this, they either laugh or cry, I'm not really sure which is the better reaction.
3. I've loved jazz since I could walk. I opt to listen to it over anything, which I know surprises most of you since I'm always blasting 80's pop music on Instagram, but jazz and I go way, way, back. And by jazz, I mean the greats, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Art Blakey, Coleman Hawkins, Diana Krall, Billie Holiday, the list goes on and on and on. I could talk about jazz for hours and hours. Big jazz nerd over here! Since we're on the topic of music I was raised on the greats too! Sinatra, Bennet, Anka, Martin, and off of the wonderful music that most people my age don't even know who I'm talking about....
4. I started this blog as a way to document my weight-loss. In 2014 I lost 155-pounds and have kept it off ever since! And in 2015 my weight-loss story was featured in Fitness Magazine! I haven't gained back a pound. But, with my surgery, last year by body changed slightly, but it's slowly getting back to what it was post-op. I use to weight 280-pounds and had a wake-up call when my doctor told me I could die if I didn't change my lifestyle. Talk about humiliating! I walked out of that office, got on a running plan, changed my eating habits, and started eating clean. The weight came off and I now workout and eat healthy to be the healthiest, happiest version of myself. I'm training for my first race this summer and I'm excited to be finally taking my running to the next level! Although, I do prefer running with Roxy over anything else!
5. I'm currently working on my master's degree in nutrition which is a ton of work, but I know it will all be worth it in the end. I have my degree in journalism and was dead-set on being the next Christiane Amanpour but things change and my life took a different direction and I'm still doing what I love, journalism-wise. Reporting, eating all the amazing food, and writing for all of you!
6. I've been working since I was 13-years-old. My parents always told me that if I wanted something, I'd have to go out and make it happen. I hated scooping ice cream till the wee hours of the night on weekends, but I respect my parents for pushing me to fend for myself. I now run two business's and I'm a female entrepreneur and I'm really proud of that. Thanks, dad!
7. I've been doing Karate since I could walk. My dad has a black belt in karate and taught me how to defend myself at a very young age. While I do not practice this beautiful art form any longer, I still practice from time to time to make sure I know my stuff. And I do the horse karate stance every single day for 5-minutes. I use to be able to do it for 30-minutes a day and I'm slowing working my way back to that. What's the horse stance? You can learn all about this amazing exercise here.
8. I chew ice like a crazy person! No joke you guys, I go through a bag a week! I've been chewing ice since I found out I have severe anemia due to having benign fibroids. I eat very little meat in my diet and my fibroids cause me be anemic. Anemia affects 60% of women and should not be taken lightly. If you struggle with fatigue or have heavy periods, please go get your iron levels checked! I eat tons of dark, leafy, greens and my body still wants all the ice! My dentist says it's fine, as long I only chew the soft ice! There is only one brand of ice I'll buy and that's the Raley's brand because it's soft, almost like the ice you get in a snow cone. If I can't get my hands on it for one reason or another or I'm traveling, I won't chew ice that weekend.
9. I used to be a belly dancer! In college, I started taking belly dancing classes to blow some steam off, but then I became immersed in the culture and fell in love with the dance! I traveled all over performing in restaurants and shows, but the belly dancing world can be a dark one filled with many toxic people, so after a few years in that world, I got myself out of it. No regrets! I learned a lot about what it means to be a strong woman during that time.
10. I moved to Los Angeles when I was just a baby! 18-years-old, because I wanted to be a movie star! I've been in commercials, indie films, plays, and have been doing theater since I was a baby. Although I don't live in LA anymore, I feel closer and closer to that world every day being a health and wellness blogger. What's really cool now is I'm lucky enough to combine all of my talents into one amazing job, fitness, acting, writing, photography, influencing, and cooking all the food!
11. I love to travel! Tell me where we are going and what to pack and I'm there! Travel and photography are a huge part of my life and my goal is to travel all over the world one day. My next stops are Palm Springs, British Columbia, Italy, and Kauai. Although I've already been to Kauai, (I go every year!) I secretly wish I could pack a bag, grab my dogs and cats, move to Kauai and open my own yoga studio there. I could certainly see myself living the Aloha lifestyle full time! My travel bucket list next stop is Thailand! I want to go and stay at the elephant retreat in Thailand and take care of all the rescued elephants!
12. I want to be a certified yoga teacher. I've been practicing yoga since my first year of high school when my best friend gave me a DVD to try out, and I've been hooked every since! I love that yoga brings me back to my center. When I practice I feel free of all of my mistakes, my excoriation habit, my pain, bad memories, and heartbreak. When I'm moving and breathing in yoga I truly feel weightless and free. It's a feeling I hope everyone gets to experience and I want to share my passion of yoga with as many people as possible. My favorite style is Vinyasa and I'm currently reaching out to local studios for teacher training. I'm really hoping to be certified by 2018!
Well, I could list a ton more facts, but this is all for now!
P.S- Okay so one more! I have multiple tattoos but the one that's the most meaningful to me is: "La Bella Vita" which means The Beautiful Life in Italian and it's a saying my Grandfather would say to me on a daily basis. "Genevieve, life is La Bella Vita!" I miss him more than words could ever express.
To health and happiness!