Healthy leftover turkey soup is the perfect soup to make with your leftover Thanksgiving turkey. It's scrumptious, healthy, and has delicious ingredients like roast turkey, potatoes, egg noodles, celery, carrots, and chicken bone broth. This is one fantastic leftovers recipe you won't want to miss!
Leftover Turkey Soup is perfect for the day after Thanksgiving or the day after Christmas. It also works as a comfort food recipe for Christmas Eve while sitting cozy by the fire and drinking hot cocoa.
This easy, healthy turkey soup recipe was inspired by my Pear and Apple Cider Sangria and pairs well with my Madarain Orange Ginger Cranberry Sauce recipe.
🥘 Healthy Leftover Turkey Soup Ingredients
Check out the full ingredients list below for healthy turkey soup.
- Chicken or turkey bone broth
- Heavy Cream
- Leftover roast turkey meat
- Green onions
- Egg Noodles
See recipe card below for quantities.
Use a Dutch Oven or slow cooker for this recipe. A quality Dutch Oven will bring out the delicious flavors and make this recipe even more delectable.
Add the bone broth and Yukon Gold potatoes to the Dutch oven.
Next, add the diced onion and chopped garlic.
Add the green onion and leftover roast turkey to the Dutch Oven.
Now add the heavy cream, carrots, celery, cilantro, and egg noodles.
Hint: Simmer healthy leftover turkey soup on low for 6-8 hours to really bring out all of the flavors. You can make this recipe in less than an hour, but if you really want a scrumptious treat, the longer the soup simmers, the better. Simply leave out the egg noodles until the last 10-minutes.
You'll have a yummy soup you can enjoy with the family all weekend long!
For Healthy Leftover Turkey noodle Soup, I use bone broth as my base. If you are dairy-free, simply leave out the heavy cream or use a milk substitute like almond milk or oat milk.
You can also add in as many vegetables as you like to make this turkey vegetable soup.
- Chicken or Beef Bone Broth-Each of these works wonderfully for this recipe.
- Oat Milk or Almond Milk-can be used in lieu of heavy cream. OR, leave it out altogether and use vegetable broth or bone broth as your soup base.
There are so many ways you can use
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes while cooking to imbue heat into the dish, or cayenne pepper for a little kick.
- Deluxe - add avocado slices, crispy onions, and sour cream to turn this turkey soup up a notch.
See my other turkey leftovers recipe. These easy turkey sliders will be the hit while watching the football game on TV!
Use a Dutch Oven or Slow Cooker for this recipe. Soups are made best in proper equipment. You could also use a large stainless steel pot for this recipe, but bear in mind stainless steel heats up much faster than cast iron or a slow cooker.
If using a large stainless steel pot for this recipe, no need to simmer the soup. Simply cook the soup in an hour and you'll still have healthy, delicious turkey soup.
Delicious healthy leftover turkey soup will keep in a glass, airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
This soup freezes well. Make a big batch of it and stock extra portions in the freezer for nights you don't feel like cooking! Reheat the soup on the stovetop and it will taste just as delicious the first time you made it.
💭 Top tip
You can take this turkey soup recipe up a notch by adding your leftover stuffing to it. This recipe makes fabulous comfort food. Don't be afraid to get creative with it!
DELICIOUS HEALTHY LEFTOVER TURKEY SOUP
- 6 cups fresh beef or chicken bone broth
- 1 cup Heavy cream or milk of choice
- 6 Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into fours
- 1 diced White onion
- ¾ cup chopped green onion
- 4 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 cups leftover roast turkey
- 1 package of egg noodles
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 bunch Fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Garlic salt
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a 3-5 quart Dutch Oven, add the chicken bone broth, heavy cream, Yukon Gold potatoes, and white onion.
- Next, add the green onion, chopped garlic, leftover roast turkey, chopped celery, and chopped carrots.
- Add the cilantro and egg noodles
- Add paprika, onion powder, and garlic salt
- Simmer everything on low for 1-hour
- Salt and pepper to taste
🌡️ Food safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
This recipe is such an easy and flavorful way to use up all that leftover turkey from the holidays!! I can't wait to make this on the Friday after Thanksgiving!
Thanks, Anjali! Do let me know how it turns out.
This is my favourite way to use leftover soup. So comforting.
Thanks, Dannii! Comfort food on a cold winter evening is the best!
Great way to use leftovers and adding different veggies to make another delicious meal.
It's so easy to make and I love adding tons of extra veggies!
Farah Abumaizar says
Perfect recipe with Thanksgiving so close, I look forward to having leftover turkey now. Thanks for this!
Thank you so much, Farah! Let me know how you like it.
Claudia Lamascolo says
Perfect timing and this is a great idea to use up leftovers!
Thank you, Claudia! Can't go wrong with leftover turkey soup!
I love making the best out of leftovers! I will sure try this recipe after Thanksgiving dinner. I love soups and I have never had a turkey soup!
Thanks, Tavo! You are going to love it! Do let me know how it turns out!
This recipe is definitely a keeper. I always have turkey leftovers from Sunday dinner. I'm going to give your recipe a try. Thanks!
Thanks, Natalie! Let me know how it turns out. 🙂
Kayla DiMaggio says
Loving this leftover soup! It is so cozy!
Thanks, Kayla! It's a good fall recipe for sure!
Amanda Scarlati says
Such a great idea! Can't wait to try it for thanksgiving leftovers.
Thanks, Amanda! I can't wait to make it again.
What a great recipe to use leftover turkey! I love your tip about adding leftover stuffing! I am saving this recipe so I can make it the next time we have turkey! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks, Jeri! I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Let me know how it turns out. 🙂
I am so making this!
Thank you! Let me know how it turns out! 🙂
This soup looks so hearty and comforting! Gonna have to set aside some turkey to make this!!
Thanks! It's a yummy dish for sure!
great leftover turkey recipe!