Blueberry Strawberry Flag Shortcake is an all Americana recipe that can be made again and again throughout the year. My classic Collagen Fruity Flag Shortcake is an ode to the amazing country we live in and an ode to shortcake fans all around! It’s truly a magical dessert recipe that you will want to make for all of your family and friends!
MAKE FLAG CAKE A THING EVERY SINGLE YEAR
Blueberry Strawberry flag shortcake my ode to the brave Americans who fight for our country year after year.
My husband is a veteran, my brother-in-law did two tours in Iraq, and we are very proud to be Americans and live in this beautiful country.
Berry flag shortcake is for all those brave souls who have endured tough times but still choose to rise up and live. This easy flag cake recipe has it all!
Imagine a shortcake full of blueberries and topped with berries, this is it!
It’s got two scoops of collagen for a healthier twist, tons of organic berries, and the shortcake is made with coconut sugar instead of white sugar.
I love cake, but I can’t eat all of the sugar that’s usually in it. My berry flag shortcake has half the amount of sugar of traditional strawberry shortcake, but it tastes just as good.
I also love that my blueberry shortcake is full of antioxidants!
The frosting is also lower in sugar since it’s made with heavy whipped cream and coconut sugar, versus white sugar in traditional whipped cream.
ADD MORE FRUIT AND MAKE THIS BLUEBERRY SHORTCAKE EVEN BETTER
I’ve made this shortcake recipe countless times, but it wasn’t until last year at a Fourth-of-July BBQ hat I decided to take this cake up a notch. I add organic blueberries to the batter and it made this shortcake that much better!
Oh my, oh my, this flag cake is so delicious that your friends will ask for it year after year.
With a light dusting of powdered sugar on top and fruit displayed like the American flag, this is the ultimate Americana dessert.
Who doesn't love blueberry shortcake?
THERE ARE SEVERAL WAYS TO MAKE BLUEBERRY SHORTCAKE
I actually adapted one of my older and very popular recipes on my blog, my Collagen Strawberry Shortcake Bars. But then I thought, why not make blueberry shortcake? This berry cake is the ultimate combination of blueberry shortcake.
Flags not your thing, or perhaps it’s not an American holiday? No problem at all.
You could easily make shortcake bars out of this recipe and slice them similar to a sheet cake.
COLLAGEN MAKES EVERYTHING BETTER IN BLUEBERRY SHORTCAKE
The basis of this recipe is tried and true and with 20-grams of added collagen, it tastes even better.
Let’s be honest, collagen just makes everything better.
Need another delicious Strawberry recipe to make this weekend?
COCONUT SUGAR FOR A HEALTHIER SUGAR ALTERNATIVE
You guys know I’m all about that coconut sugar life and I prefer to use it in all of my baked goods.
The taste is similar to regular sugar but without all the guilt.
Blueberry shortcake is the way to go.
You can also check out this flag cake recipe from All Recipes.
Coconut sugar burns more slowly in the body so you don't get that sugar crash a few hours after eating it. I buy my coconut sugar at a super affordable price from Trader Joe’s. You can also order it in bulk from Amazon.
This Fruity Flag Shortcake is a gem and I hope you guys love making it! The entire crew at our Fourth Of July soirée loved it too and I’m planning on making more this week.
Blueberry Shortcake (Healthy Flag Cake)
- 1 cup organic coconut sugar or organic sugar
- ½ cup Kerry Gold Butter (Make sure you use a quality butter)
- 2 scoops Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
- 2 organic eggs
- 2 tbs vanilla extract
- 2 cups organic flour
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan Sea-Salt
- ½ cup organic half-n-half
- 1 cup organic blueberries
- 1 pound 1-pound organic strawberries, halved and sliced
Coconut Sugar Whipped Cream Frosting
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees and spray a cake pan with coconut oil. Set aside.
- In an electric mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together.
- Next, add the eggs, and cream everything together again.
- Add the collagen peptides, flour, baking powder, half-n-half, Himalayan sea-salt, and mix on the medium setting.
- Fold in the blueberries into the mixture and gently hand mix everything together with a spatula.
- Pour the prepared mixture into a cake pan and bake at 350-degrees for one hour. Make sure the cake is done by inserting a toothpick into the center portion of the cake and if it comes out clear, it’s ready
- Let the cake cool for an hour.
- Once the cake has cooled, remove it from the cake pan and place it on a baking rack.
- Top the cake with the whipped cream and decorate it with the blueberries and strawberries to look similar to the American flag.
- You can also add the fruit in any variation you want. Slice and serve.
Coconut Sugar Whipped Cream Frosting
- While the cake is baking, prepare the whipped cream. Pour the heavy whipping cream into the electric mixer and mix on the high setting.
- Next, add the coconut sugar and vanilla extract and mix it on the high setting until fluffy whipped cream forms.
- Place the whipped cream in the fridge for up to an hour to firm up.